Humility in the midst of success: How does that happen?
New York – During the 16th episode of digital talk show Women’s World on Sunday, August 30, 2020, Fil-American teacher and notable community leader 85-year-old Lumen Castaneda spoke about humility in the midst of success. Talk show hosts Merly Barlaan, Arceli Hernando, and this writer had a vibrant discussion with Ms. Castaneda, whose long credentials include being founder of the nationwide organization of teachers UNIFFIED, founder of LC Legacy for Children Foundation, past president of two major non-profit organizations PAFCOM and PACCAL in New Jersey, among others.
Hosts Marivir, Arceli, and Merly ‘turned students’ in Lumen Castaneda’s leadership class.
The one hour conversation was a breeze, dashed by ‘Tita Lumen’s’ wealth of experience, personal philosophy, leadership tips, and humor. A few of her quotable quotes, and your take-away:
Success is fleeting. Live for achievement. It is your legacy.
Saying it as it is: Much as I pray that we should be cohesive to achieve bigger things, we are not able to do that – because once we achieve something, the others will pull us down.
- Success can be taken away from you. Today, you may be rich. Tomorrow you will be poor. Homeless. Live for achievement. Achievement will always be there and cannot be taken away. Success is fleeting.
- When I have accomplished something, then it’s done. I really don’t think that it’s a big thing. I don’t brag about it. People may find out about it. But I keep quiet. That’s how I keep my humility.
- Power is dangerous unless you have humility. Humility is the hallmark of faith. Remember that Jesus Christ was a humble man.
- Humility is inborn, it is generated by character.
- I’m very sorry to say that we Filipinos are not as cohesive as we should be. It is very unfortunate that there is a lot of bickering in the community. Much as I pray that we should be cohesive to achieve bigger things, we are not able to do that – because once we achieve something, the others will pull us down.
- They have pulled me down, but I stood my ground.
- As a leader, I consult with my members, not insist.
- As a leader, try to always be ready and look good to meet anybody with respect.
- Wear nice but cheap clothes. I get mine from Green Hills.
- You cannot please everybody. Not everyone likes me, but that’s okay.
- I’ve no role model, I think I just evolved to be Paraluman Castaneda.
- Old? I am 58 years old.